© © Eve Andreski
- The Red Lodge is often described as Bristol's 'hidden treasure' because of its magnificent Tudor rooms. The house, built in 1580, is furnished in Elizabethan, Stuart and Georgian styles and contains the impressive Great Oak Room, with its original Elizabethan plasterwork ceiling, oak panelling and carved chimneypiece. From here you can gaze down on the knot garden below. It was built as a lodge for a Great House, which once stood on the site of the present Colston Hall. It was subsequently added to in Georgian times. It has had several uses in its past, including a reform school for girls. This was set up in 1854 by Mary Carpenter and a room is dedicated to her memory. The walled garden at the Red Lodge is an excellent example of a re-created Elizabethan-style knot garden with herbaceous borders. All the plants grown here could have been found in English gardens by 1630. Part of a Designated Collection of national importance is on display at this venue.