© ©National Trust Images/John Miller
- The Clergy House is remarkable as a surviving example of a typical thatched Wealden Hall House dating back to the fourteenth century. It was probably built for a yeoman farmer and later passed into the possession of the church. By the 1890s it was virtually derelict and would have been lost forever but for the efforts of Reverend Beynon, the vicar of Alfriston, who set up an appeal to save this ancient building. In 1896 the newly formed National Trust purchased the building for a token £10. The Clergy House was the first historic building acquired by the National Trust. One of the oak beams in the hall features an oak leaf carving which may have been the inspiration for the National Trust logo. The floor in the hall is made of an unusual mixture of chalk and sour milk. The cottage style garden was laid out by Sir Robert Witt, the tenant in the 1920s, and includes many old scented roses and cottage garden favourites. Features of the garden include a 100 year old Judas tree, clipped box trees, herb garden, orchard and a small kitchen garden with raised beds.