© National Trust Images/Arnhel de Serra
- Ancient castle with fine interiors and sub-tropical gardens. Dramatically sited on a wooded hill, a castle has existed here since at least Norman times. The 13th-century gatehouse survives, but the present building was remodelled in 1868–72 by Antony Salvin for the Luttrell family, who lived here for 600 years. The fine oak staircase and plasterwork of the 17th-century house he adapted can still be seen. There is a sheltered terrace to the south on which tender plants and shrubs grow, and beautiful parkland in which to walk.