© Nigel Chadwick, licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence
- The Georgian House is part of Robert Adam’s masterpiece of urban design, Charlotte Square. It dates from 1796, when those who could afford it began to escape from the cramped, squalid conditions of Edinburgh’s Old Town to settle in the fashionable New Town. The house’s beautiful china, shining silver, exquisite paintings and furniture all reflect the domestic surroundings and social conditions of the times. Video programme. New touchscreen programme featuring a virtual tour of the house. Nos 5, 6 and 7 Charlotte Square were conveyed to the Trust through National Land Fund procedures in 1966. The lower floors of 7 Charlotte Square were opened in 1975.