© National Trust Images/Andrew Butler
- Built between the 14th and 16th centuries, the castle has been home to the Gilbert family for most of the last 600 years. Sir Humphrey Gilbert (1539–1583) was coloniser of Newfoundland and half-brother to Sir Walter Raleigh. Within the curtain wall can be seen the old kitchen with spiral staircase to the guard room, reconstructed great hall, solar and chapel. There is also a lovely rose garden and knot garden.