Close

Roman Town House

Archaeological site
Roman Town House building

    • Find out more about Romano-British urban life at the best preserved example of a Roman Town House in the Country. In Roman Town House was discovered, almost by chance in 1937 during an archaeological dig. The County Council had bought the land at Colliton Park to build a new County Hall. The team from the Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society found the remains of at least 8 buildings of which the Town House was the most important. Further work on the site was disturbed by the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, but more recent work on the buildings and mosaics has enabled us to write the story of the building and to imagine more about the people who could have lived here.
Share This

Location