Prison and Police Museum

prison and police museum

© Ripon Museum Trust

    • The museum is housed in a building which formed part of the former House of Correction and Liberty Gaol and which is now an integral part of the overall attraction of the museum. The building's origins go back to the late 17th Century but the part now occupied by the museum was built as Ripon Liberty Prison in 1816 and continued to function as such until May, 1878 when it, along with numerous other local prisons throughout the country, was closed as part of a government reform of prisons.
Share This