© Captain Cook Memorial Museum
- The Museum is in the Grade-1-listed, 17c house on Whitby's harbourside which belonged to Captain John Walker. In 1746 the young Cook came here as Walker's apprentice. When not at sea he lodged with the other apprentices in the attic - still preserved. The Museum houses a rich collection, artefacts from the Voyages, original letters of the period, some in Cook's own hand, paintings - Parry's Omai, Gainsborough, Hodges. Every year the Museum stages a special exhibition between March and October about a special aspect of Captain Cook's life and related subjects. Admission included in standard entry prices. We display artefacts borrowed from Museums in the UK and abroad some of which are not normally accessible to the public. For details of this year's special exhibition please see the Museum's web site.