- The ruins at Weoley Castle are over 700 years old and are the remains of the moated medieval manor house that once stood here. The site has been inhabited from the 12th century and, according to the Doomsday Book, was part of the estates of William Fitz Ansculf. Excavations have revealed the wealthy status of the castle’s occupants. Finds have included glass from Syria and a range of kitchen equipment. Some of the objects can be seen at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. Weoley changed hands several times between 1485 and 1531 when it began to fall into disrepair. In the centuries that followed, stone from the castle was removed to build a nearby farm and the Dudley no.2 canal. Today the site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument of national importance, which means it is legally protected from future development or damage. The ruins are not accessible to visitors. The current viewing area closes on September 26th 2009. The site is undergoing development work with the creation of a community classroom and consolidation of the ruins. This is part of a Heritage Lottery and English Heritage funded project to increase access to Weoley Castle Ruins.
Castle or defences