© Chelmsford Museum (Chelmsford Borough Council)
- Chelmsford Museum first opened in 1835 in the governor's parlour in Chelmsford Gaol, it has had a long and interesting history. The museum was taken over by Chelmsford Borough Council in 1906 and in 1930 it moved to a Victorian house, Oaklands, which is still its home. Oaklands House was part of the Oaklands Estate - this is now a park with children's play area. In 1973 the Essex Regiment Museum also took up residence at Oaklands.