Museum of Norwich at the Bridewell

A white painted building with large windows in the foreground and a church tower in the background

© Museum of Norwich at the Bridewell

    • The Bridewell started life as a rich merchant's house in 1325. It became a prison for women and beggars (a ‘Bridewell’) in 1585 and in the mid 18th century became a conventional prison. From 1828 it earned its keep as a factory and warehouse for tobacco, leather, boots and shoes. It became a museum in 1925 and now houses a wonderful collection of historic objects and machinery revealing how Norwich people earned their living.
Share This